DESCRIPTION Are you a Software Engineer who is passionate about automation? Does the idea of working with big data using the latest and greatest AWS services excite you? Do you want to design and build software that improves cloud operations at global scale? Come join the AWS Region Services Lighthouse team! About Lighthouse: The Lighthouse team develops software applications and services that exist at the intersection of DevOps, Site Reliability Engineering and Big Data to help ensure services offered through every AWS region meet the highest standards of operational excellence and offer a consistent customer experience. Our tools ingest and process millions of metadata records pertaining to software deployments and DevOps events across the entire company to inform Amazonians of risks caused by technical differences in software and infrastructure-as-code deployed across AWS regions. About Lighthouse Engineers: Our engineers use the latest and greatest AWS technologies to build cloud-native big data analytics solutions that collect and process millions of events from across all AWS to generate insights on operational practices and risks. As part of our team, you'll be challenged to think outside the box and not only meet the needs of our customers today, but to predict and create what they'll need in the future. You'll have the opportunity to tackle big technical problems and push the boundaries on what's possible for cloud computing. You will collaborate closely with software engineers, data scientists, business analysts, site reliability engineers, front-end engineers, technical program managers and other roles across AWS to create DevOps mechanisms, metrics and visualizations that help all Amazonians build, deploy and operate their services consistently across all AWS regions according to AWS operational excellence best practices. We take code reviews seriously. We believe thorough and respectful code reviews raise our code quality, grow our technical acumen, and provide opportunities to support and share knowledge with each other. When you're ready, you will have on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. No one likes getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work hard to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant and resilient. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause of the issue so that we never get paged for the same issue twice. Work/Life Balance: Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment, and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. We offer flexibility in working hours and location, including the opportunity to telework multiple days a week, and to work remotely from anywhere in the country for up to four weeks a year. Inclusive Team Culture: Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust. Mentorship & Career Growth: Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future. Every new team member starts with a comprehensive 90-day onboarding period. New team members do not join an on-call rotation until they are fully ready and have had the opportunity to shadow other on-call engineers. This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS * 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
* Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
* 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems. * Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or related field; or equivalent experience.
* 3+ years of object-oriented design and implementation experience (Ruby, Java, Python, and/or C++), preferably on Linux. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS * Master's Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or Engineering
* 5+ years professional experience in commercial/large scale system software development and delivery.
* 5+ years of object-oriented design and implementation experience (Ruby, Java, Python, and/or C++), preferably on Linux.
* 2+ years experience Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithm design and problem solving.
* Able to work in a diverse team
* Experience building new products and services from the ground up.
* Experience with AWS technologies
* Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals
* Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
* Ability to synthesize requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and facilitate engineering efforts to meet timelines
* Maturity, judgment, negotiation/influence skills and leadership skills
* Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
* Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
*Please email AWS Sourcing Recruiter, Scott Korkowski () if you have questions. Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us . If the Arlington, VA location is selected, this role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport. By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.