DESCRIPTION Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world! The Lighthouse team is driving the building of tools and services to help further Operational Excellence in the Region Services GovCloud Organization and across AWS. We are building software/systems with the best practices in development of systems, including various forms of testing and monitoring. Lighthouse is building a Zero - Administration tooling system(s) and self - help tools for AWS Services. We look for automation first (preventative), mechanization second (proactive), and tooling last (reactive). This team will lead the design and development of new tools and services in Operational Excellence in our GovCloud as well as new features for existing tools across AWS development teams. Passionate about building, owning and operating massively scalable systems? Experienced in building and leading teams of highly competent software engineers? Want to make a billion-dollar impact? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you. The Team: We're an agile, innovative team working to build a brand new AWS product. We need developers who are capable of breaking down and solving complex problems. This team will have the opportunity to work on highly visible projects that directly impact hundreds of other teams at Amazon. Developers at Amazon work on real world problems on a global scale, own their systems end-to-end, and influence the direction of our technology that impacts hundreds of millions customers around the world. Join a team of super smart, customer obsessed developers that think big and have fun. About Us Inclusive Team Culture Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust. Work/Life Balance Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. Mentorship & Career Growth Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future. Location: Herndon, VA or Arlington, VA (HQ2) options are available. This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS * 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
* Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
* 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems. * Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or related field; or equivalent experience.
* 3+ years of object-oriented design and implementation experience (Ruby, Java, Python, and/or C++), preferably on Linux. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS * Master's Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or Engineering
* 5+ years professional experience in commercial/large scale system software development and delivery.
* 5+ years of object-oriented design and implementation experience (Ruby, Java, Python, and/or C++), preferably on Linux.
* 2+ years experience Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithm design and problem solving.
* Able to work in a diverse team
* Experience building new products and services from the ground up.
* Experience with AWS technologies
* Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals
* Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
* Ability to synthesize requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and facilitate engineering efforts to meet timelines
* Maturity, judgment, negotiation/influence skills and leadership skills
* Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
* Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
*Please email AWS Sourcing Recruiter, Scott Korkowski () if you have questions. Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us . If the Arlington, VA location is selected, this role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport. By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.