Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a Network Deployment Engineer to build Amazon Dedicated Cloud regions as part of our Infrastructure Operations team. As dedicated cloud regions continue to expand and grow, Infrastructure Operations is looking for builders to take on the challenge of scaling network systems allowing us to stay ahead of customer demand. As a Network Deployment Engineer, you will work in a dynamic environment to drive the stability and sustainability of our next-generation networks and assist in the development of innovative ways to automate and scale our network. The position's responsibilities include scaling support of several data center locations and day to day assistance with capacity management. Engineers will work closely with internal customers and external vendors to facilitate smooth project execution as directed by Technical Program Managers.
The ideal candidate should be highly autonomous, very detail oriented, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills and has significant experience in supporting large scale, enterprise class networks. Excellent network implementation and troubleshooting skills combined with a proven documentation methodology is also required. Strong written and verbal communication skills and an ability to interact efficiently with peers and customers are required. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential. In addition to providing top-tier management and support of Amazons vast network infrastructure, Deployment Engineers are expected to build or enhance tools, develop best practices, refine operational procedure and constantly think proactively.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and must currently possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph. The position further requires the candidate to opt into a commensurate clearance for each government agency for which they perform AWS work.
Key job responsibilities
• Clearly communicate project status and blockers to leadership and project management.
• Perform device build and cabling validation activities.
• Manage cabling vendor activities and performing quality assurance activities.
• Support Network Engineering deployment activities during scheduled change management windows.
• Participate in the migration (possibly off business hrs), basic configuration and rollout of new or upgraded hardware
• Complete customer requests via Remedy trouble ticketing system
• Collaborate with various stakeholders to remove project obstacles
• Troubleshoot networking, routing and inter connectivity issues, including troubleshooting of network device configuration and low level application interaction
• Deliver simple, sustainable and repeatable solutions and processes.
• Manage work and priorities through ticketing system and workflow
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Herndon, VA, USA
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance of TS/SCI with Polygraph
• 3+ years of high-level and/or enterprise experience as a technician or engineer in a highly dynamic environment; OR an equivalent combination of higher education and tech related experience
• Strong diagnostic and problem-solving skills
• TCP/IP networking knowledge
• Broad understanding of infrastructure technologies
• Experience with cabling infrastructure best practices and methodologies.
• Familiarity with common networking terms.
• Working knowledge of Layer 1 troubleshooting
• Up to 20% travel may be required
• BS in Information Systems or Computer Science and/or certifications to include CCNA or JNCIA and/or BICSI Level II or greater
• Understanding of infrastructure technologies, including Routers, Switches, Load Balancers and Firewalls
• Knowledge of network cabling, optic types, and test equipment, such as VFL, power meter, and OTDR.
• Experience with small to medium, complex project scopes and ambiguous details within work environment
• General comprehension of the various components and sub-components of data center infrastructure
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is on a mission to help our customers innovate faster and easier. Our global team of diverse builders continuously accelerate the pace of cutting-edge cloud technology to help millions of businesses achieve their goals. We’re reshaping the IT industry so our partners can revolutionize the global marketplace. Let’s build the future together.
Inclusive Team Culture:
Here at AWS, it’s in our nature to learn and be curious. Our employee-led affinity groups foster a culture of inclusion that empower us to be proud of our differences. Ongoing events and learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences, inspire us to never stop celebrating our uniqueness.
We value work-life harmony. Achieving success at work should never come at the expense of sacrifices at home. Finding purpose and fulfillment is essential across all aspects of our lives, which is why flexible work hours and arrangements are part of our culture. When we feel supported in the workplace and at home, there’s nothing we can’t achieve in the cloud.
This team supports 24/7 systems in a classified environment, and periodic on-call duties with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs will be required.
Mentorship & Career Growth:
We have a career path for you no matter what stage you’re in when you start here. As we strive to become Earth’s Best Employer, we know we must continuously raise our performance bar. That’s why you’ll find endless knowledge-sharing, mentorship and other career-advancing resources here to help you develop into a better-rounded professional.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.